It’s surprisingly easy to drive a thousand miles from Montgomery, Texas to Columbia, South Carolina. Two days on the road with a nine-hour break in a comfy motel bed. The roads are good but we share them with many travelers who join us in driving from here to there to wherever. Truck drivers pulling heavy loads remind me of the burdens I’ve carried for many years so I like to see the eighteen-wheelers as they struggle to make a hill but cruise on down the road once they reach the crest. I feel I’ve reached the top of an incredibly high hill in my life at this moment and can finally begin to coast on the other side. The responsibilities and pressures I’ve owned for so long are pieces falling from my truck bed into ditches along the way. They fly out and float and vanish as they hit the ground.
what was 2020?
“There are years that ask questions, and years that answer.” Zora Neale Hurston
Ella James toasts the holidays!
IF YOU WANT MORE
- the essence of giving thanks
- beware the ides of ancestry
- I’ll drink to them
- Matt Chisling, A Gay Man for All Seasons
- This is the Time
- Ella James is unhappy
- it’s going to be beautiful
- grandmothers for a brighter future
- Nadal’s List of Unlucky Losers
- tis the season – not that season
- what a difference a year makes
- say her name: Breonna Taylor
- your protection has expired
- black women called “Mayor” from sea to shining sea
- 69,154 hits