home is where the horseshoes hang

horseshoes moved in with Pride

getting ready for summer in South Carolina

I’m so thirsty…

hey, can you drink this stuff?

I’ll give it a whirl…

OMG, that water was n-a-s-t-y

“The Calla Lilies are in bloom…”

Does anyone remember that line from a famous old movie?

Hint: Katherine Hepburn was the actress who recited it.

Happy Mother’s Day to every mother wherever you are from the children who were your worst nightmares and, often simultaneously,  your dreams come true. Thank you.

About Sheila Morris

Sheila Morris is an essayist with humorist tendencies and a passion for photojournalism. She has published four nonfiction books including two memoirs, an essay collection and a collection of her favorite blogs from I'll Call It Like I See It. She has been blogging for seven years as her alter ego, The Red Man, her rescued Welsh terrier but now is reduced to writing as herself since the Red Man left Casa de Canterbury for good in February of 2016. She is a displaced Texan living in South Carolina with her wife Teresa Williams and their dogs Spike and Charly.
This entry was posted in Life, Personal, photography, Random, Reflections, Slice of Life, The Way Life Is and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to home is where the horseshoes hang

1. Susanne says:

I cannot tell a lie: I Googled and was enlightened. So true about the double edged sword that is motherhood. Enjoy the glorious weather in SC.

Liked by 1 person

2. Are those horseshoes for throwin’? If so I can’t wait to chuck one! The rainbow flag is the perfect finishing touch to that already wonderful yard 🙂

3. Luanne says:

I watched all 2:23 minutes of that clip on youtube for you, my dear. I know I’ve heard it before, and yet the visual doesn’t look familiar. That said, I am sorry to tell you and anybody else, but I have never had any affinity for Hepburn at all. I know, I know. Of course, Adam’s Rib is pretty darn good. That is probably my favorite. As for your Mother’s Day sentiment, my son was my worst nightmare for several years (note my first book hint hint) and he is such a sweet dream now (his new wife, too). My daughter was such a sweetie and still is, but still gives me so much anxiety. There, I’ve said it. Horseshoes remind me of my dad. It’s the 2 year anniversary of his passing today.

Liked by 1 person

• Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner??
      I loved Stage Door – not just for Hepburn, but for all the other wonderful women, too…when you have time, it’s worth a viewing.
      We had the identical experience with Pretty’s son Drew and since I had never had children, I mishandled almost every situation when he was a teenager.
      Tonight Drew and his precious wife Caroline treated us to a movie for Mother’s Day and we had such a great time with them. Sweet dreams do come true.
      As for daughters, I can only wish you the best of luck. That’s never easy.
      Has it been two years since your dad passed? Incredible. I remember it well.
      I feel for you – and with you, my friend.

• Luanne says:

OK, I admit I like most of her movies. It’s just her I don’t care for. Or maybe I’m just being weird. My absolute favorites are Irene Dunne and Myrna Loy. So maybe it’s that humor I’m missing in Hepburn. Odd since she was good in those comedies. It’s nice of you to take the rap about Drew, but it’s never that simple with teens sigh. So wonderful that things are good now between you! I can hardly believe it’s been two years. It seems like just yesterday with my father sick, my cat sick, and the hummingbird babies. And now mom has a really serious heart problem.

Liked by 1 person

• Sometimes life itself is overwhelming, particularly as we get older. Good grief…not so much.
        I hope your mother gets better soon.

• Luanne says:

I hope so, but her cardiac problems are multiplying. And she’s perfectly healthy in other ways–probably healthier than I am.

Liked by 1 person

• I also loved Myrna Loy in The Thin Man movies so very much – and really anything. And Irene Dunne…don’t get me started.
        Hepburn disappointed me in real life, too, but I loved the characters she played in the movies.

• Luanne says:

Yes, ok. 😉 (re Hepburn) Irene (possibly my favorite) and Myrna were such fun on screen. Wonderful people “in person,” too, by all accounts, from what I’ve read. My mother-in-law also loved Irene Dunne. Gosh, now I’m missing all those old movies. And the other ones, too. Clifton Webb movies. OK, don’t get me started on this path, please.

Liked by 1 person

• Clifton Webb…ok…that’s all, folks.

4. Johnny says:

So adorable! Happy Mother’s Day and Hello Rainbow Flag! ❤

5. rockyden says:

oh myyy…….. looks just like (almost) a house i loved from your past, can’t wait to visit my cousins out in South Carolina this summer, see you in august….good and hot !!!!! love rockyden and from the bearded one who rolls his own.

Liked by 1 person

• Yes, the pool is much like the one you visited many moons ago – I think you will be pleased with it!!
      We just got in yesterday, and Pretty is aglow with happiness…:)
      Please tell the bearded on who rolls his own that he lives on in my memories of the Texas times.
      Much love to my cousins in Grimes County and elsewhere.